[HCCN] PR: UWEM supports RealCare parenting

Candy Eaton children at downeasthealth.org
Wed Aug 24 11:30:03 EDT 2011

August 24, 2011; FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:Kathie Norwood, Executive Director

**

*"United Way of Eastern Maine supports *

*RealCare® parenting in Hancock County"*

The Downeast Children's Council, a program of Downeast Health Services
Inc., is pleased to announce continued financial support from the United
Way of Eastern Maine to provide the RealCare® parenting program to
students in Hancock County schools.The Downeast Children's Council
RealCare® parenting program provides middle school and high school
students throughout Hancock County with an opportunity to learn how to
appropriately care for an infant in order to prevent injury and
neglect.Since 2001, over 2000 students from 23 Hancock County community
schools have participated in this 48-hour simulated parenting experience
using computerized life-like infants.

The purpose of the Real Care® parenting program is to give students the
knowledge they need to make informed decisions about parenting.Using an
/evidence-informed/ curriculum, the program explores the emotional,
financial and social consequences of parenting and is intended to help
teens understand three important facts:1) Infants require a great deal
of time and attention, 2) Infants' demands are unpredictable, but must
be met promptly; and 3) parenting responsibilities impact one's
lifestyle profoundly.

Why do we partner primarily with 8^th grade classes?Eighth grade is the
last intact class of boys and girls that have the opportunity to learn
together about empathy and understand how it relates to caring for
children.This experience teaches adolescents about the damaging effects
of child abuse, and how to appropriate care for an infant in order to
prevent injury and neglect.These skills are important to provide teens
that care for younger siblings, become babysitters, or young parents,
with the correct response to a crying baby.

Prior to the 48-hour parenting simulation, teachers instruct the
students in how to safely hold, feed, burp, bathe, and change an
infant.Students are taught the basics of infant physical and mental
development, how to provide a safe environment for an infant and how to
properly install an infant car seat.Students may also have the
opportunity to experience the "Empathy Belly"^(TM), a unique resource
that simulates pregnancy through the use of a rib belt and the strategic
positioning of various weighted components.The computerized infant
provides detailed information about the care that Baby receives.At the
completion of each parenting experience, the school coordinator
downloads the data from each computerized infant and notes the outcomes
for each student.

To enhance the parenting simulation curriculum, we also provide
demonstration babies that show the effects of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and
drug abuse during pregnancy.The stark contrast between a normal baby and
drug-affected baby has an immediate, visual high impact on participants;
and the delayed response to care requires students to exercise extreme
patience.Our new computerized "Shaken Baby Syndrome" demonstration
infant is designed with a transparent head that clearly defines the
traumatic brain injuries caused by abusive head trauma.When the
simulator is shaken, affected sections of the brain light up to
illustrate where brain damage has occurred.Combined with a curriculum
that helps establish a plan for coping with an inconsolable baby, we are
learning that this experience remains with participants for a long time.

As the only county-wide program dedicated to keeping children safe, the
Children's Council is uniquely situated to provide a consistent program,
using specialized materials that are beyond the capacity of most schools
to invest their limited funding.We are in a position to monitor the
program use by our many school partners, implement recommendations for
improvement, and share our findings with all participating schools.

Small rural schools do not have the resources to purchase these
materials for their own use, and are challenged to contribute any
funding for this program.As Hancock County schools experience declining
enrollments and shrinking school budgets, we have saved local schools
over $200,000 by purchasing these materials to be shared by all
communities, rather than having each school purchase their own
materials, a cost-saving effort appreciated by municipal leaders
annually.The Children's Council offers this program to all Hancock
County middle schools and high schools.Reservations for this program are
on a first-come, first-reserved basis by calling Jamie Brooks at
667-5304 ext. 261 beginning September 1^st , 2011.Please visit our
website at www.downeasthealth.org <http://www.downeasthealth.org> or
email children at downeasthealth.org <mailto:children at downeasthealth.org>to
learn about RealCare^(TM) parenting, other parenting workshops and
classes, support groups, and family resources available in Hancock County.

The United Way of Eastern Maine works with local community partners for
meaningful and lasting change that improves the lives of people in our
region.For additional information, contact United Way of Eastern Maine
at 207-941-2800 or visit their website at www.unitedwayem.org
<http://www.unitedwayem.org>.