[HCCN] REMINDER: Come to the GROW (GrassRoots Organizing Workshops), September 16-18 in Bryant Pond

Larry Dansinger rosc at psouth.net
Thu Aug 25 13:57:16 EDT 2011

Please pass along to others who might also want to come to GROW. Pre-
registration helps in planning meals, overnights, and ride sharing,
so if you are planning to attend, please register or let us know you
are planning to come. Thanks.

APOLOGIES TO THOSE WHO ARE RECEIVING THIS MORE THAN ONCE.

GROW New England's

GRASSROOTS ORGANIZING WORKSHOPS

September 16-18, 2011

Bryant Pond 4-H Camp, Bryant Pond, ME, (near Bethel and Norway, on
Christopher Lake)

For New and Experienced Grassroots Organizers in Maine, Vermont, &
New Hampshire to Learn More about Creating Grassroots Social Change

A project of ROSC, 161 Stovepipe Alley, Monroe, ME 04951

REGISTRATION INFORMATION BELOW. YOU CAN ALSO REGISTER ON LINE AT:
http://resourcesfororganizing.org/project/grow-new-england/registration

Why GROW New England?

(GrassRoots Organizing Workshops)

We believe in a better world where there is:

* Respect for civil liberties

* Commitment to nonviolent conflict resolution

* Economic justice and rights for all

* Affordable health care, housing, and education

* A healthy environment and sustainable living practices

* Celebration of diversity in age, race, gender, etc.

Join new and experienced activists from Northern New England as we:

* Learn and teach about the "big picture" of social change.

* Gain new organizing skills.

* Learn about successful models throughout the region.

* Celebrate successes.

Comments from past GROW weekends:

“It was the best experience of my life.  The weekend felt like a

community-building utopia.”

“Wonderful. Took away exactly what I was hoping to gain from the
weekend"

"I've made several contacts for future projects and allies for my
life's mission. GROW made me grow.”

"I learned far more than I ever expected as well as dusted off my old
skills. The ability to meet and get to know so many other social
justice minded people was phenomenal."

  GROW Weekend Schedule

Friday September 16th   1:00-4:30 pm

Making a Difference: Skills for the Effective Organizer

This basic workshop provides an overview of social change organizing
for people new to the role, as well as an opportunity for seasoned
organizers  to reflect on why they continue to choose this work.
Experienced organizers are encouraged to attend in order to share and
recharge.

5:00 pm Friday, September 16th - 3 pm Sunday, October 18th – weekend
workshop series commences.

Cost: $10 - $80 (pay what you can/all welcome) includes housing
(bring bedding), meals, all workshops, use of facilities and nearby
outdoor environments.

In addition to workshops (see list below), GROW will use interactive
methods to help attendees develop their skills in planning actions
and becoming better organizers.

Our 2011 Theme: “Tactics for Organizers”

Workshops Topics Include:

  °Canvassing: One to One Organizing

  °Media Tactics for Grassroots Organizers

  °Alternative Structures: Saying Yes as Well as Saying No

  °Using Referenda and Town Meeting Resolutions

  °Using Popular Education to Organize

  °Direct Action for Social Change

Accessibility: Facility is fully accessible.

Child Care:  Provided, at no cost, during workshop times only. Those
bringing children must register by September 7th.

Animals: Only service animals permitted.

Food: Meals will be supplied (included in cost) and will offer both
meat & vegetarian/vegan options. We can make individual adjustments
as needed. Attendees will be asked to help with meal preparation or
cleanup.

Travel:  If you need help with travel, please contact us. Check the
web site or call a contact person for ride sharing options.

Registration:  We encourage you to register by September 7th, though
last minute registrations will be accepted as space permits (not
usually a problem). Registration materials and directions will be e/
mailed after you register.

Registration Form (type in info and email back)

Name__________________________________

Address_______________________________

Town/city_____________________________

Zip code_________________

Phone_________________________________

Email _________________________________

Please Check all that Apply:

___I am registering for the September 16-18 weekend

Enclosed is $_____  Check payable to:

“Resources for Organizing and Social Change” (ROSC). Partial payment
is OK. Remainder due when you arrive.

Childcare

___I need childcare. Please list ages of children.

______________________________________

Ride Share:

___I need a ride from_____________________

___I can offer a ride from _________________

Please note any other special accommodations

required________________________________

______________________________________

______________________________________

Return this form to: