[HCCN] Fwd: [Sign On] Fast Track votes Thursday morning -- please mobilize

Dick Atlee atlee at umd.edu
Thu Jun 18 07:57:00 EDT 2015

(FWIW, I passed this on to my list and to the Downeast Democrats list
and a Connecticut list I'm part of.)

I'm including below the substantive part of Poliquin's response to my
contacting him about the last vote on this (for which I called and
thanked him profusely). You'd think it would be hard for him to pull a
180º on this, given his alleged feelings on the subject, but Boehner
obviously has something up his sleeve. Fingers crossed.

I've heard from some people who are cynical about Congress, and others
(for some of whom I have great respect) who say there is no difference
between Dems and Reps. And in the big picture they're probably all
correct. But I guess the Maine immigrant families who face homelessness
due to a near-party line vote in the Senate a couple of days ago might
feel differently. And our recent tip-of-the-iceberg loss of
country-of-origin meat labeling because of a WTO lawsuit makes it clear
that carte-blanche voting on the upcoming TPP and future trade deals
will hurt us badly if we can't stop Fast Track, regardless of how we
might feel about Congress.

Poliquin: 202-225-6306
Pingree (can't hurt): 202-225-6116

Dick

As you know, granting fast track authority, or Trade Promotion Authority
(TPA), would empower the President and his international trade
representatives to negotiate complex trade agreements with multiple
countries, after which Congress would only have a simple yes or no vote
without any possibility of changing the agreements.

As someone who has created jobs, I understand how important it is for
companies to be able to sell their goods and services overseas. However,
my primary responsibility is helping to protect and grow our 2nd
District jobs by making sure our mills, factories, and other employers
are able to compete on a level playing field in the global market place.
This proposed fast track legislation does not achieve that goal.

That is why I voted against granting the President fast track authority.

For generations, Maine's sprawling 2nd Congressional District was home
to dozens of thriving paper, textile, shoe, and leather factories and
mills that employed tens of thousands of hard-working Maine families.
Today, most of those companies have closed and those jobs lost because
of unfair trade agreements, foreign competition, stringent regulations,
and high energy costs and taxes.

I believe that we need tougher and fairer trade agreements that help
American businesses grow and protect Maine jobs, not those that kill
paychecks. New Balance, one of the strongest businesses in our District,
is the only remaining U.S. manufacturer of athletic footwear. 900 highly
skilled Maine workers make those shoes right here in Norridgewock,
Norway, and Skowhegan.

I am committed to bringing honest, good-paying jobs, like those that New
Balance provides, back to the hard-working families of our 2nd District.
I am determined to stop unfair and unlawful Canadian subsidies from
flowing to competing paper mills on the other side of the border that
are causing shutdowns and furloughs at Madison Paper.
Mainers are the most honest, hard-working people in the country. It’s
time that Washington works just as hard to enact trade policies that are
fair to our 2nd District families and workers.