[HCCN] losing the economic battle

Dexter Bellows dexter at downeast.net
Tue Feb 3 12:37:07 EST 2009

time to get to work, troops

And finally, Bernie Horn over at Campaign for America's Future is
sounding the alarm on the organized conservative opposition to the
recovery plan, and he wants progressives to light up the damn
senatorial phones:

     The word on the street here in Washington is that the right is
killing us with phone calls to Congress on the Obama economic recovery
plan. One congressperson said the calls are running 100 to 1 against it.

     The legislation is now on the Senate floor. If senators perceive
that Americans side with Obama in this fight—which several polls say
they are—that will strengthen the power of progressives in the debate
and we’ll get a good bill. If, on the other hand, senators are only
feeling the heat from conservatives, then our advocates will be
weakened and we’ll get a lousy bill. That’s just the way things go on
Capitol Hill....

     That means pick up the telephone and call 202-224-3121 (or use
the toll-free service at 866-544-7573). Ask the Capitol operator to
transfer you to one of your state’s U.S. senators. When you’re
connected, say you’re calling to urge your senator to "support the
Obama economic recovery plan and oppose all conservative amendments."
Call back and repeat for your other senator. Then contact everyone you
know and urge them to do the same.