Democracy Forum: Listen – Friday, October 18
Friday, October 18Hate and Fear in Politics: How Fear and Anger Endanger Democracy
LWV-Downeast hosts a monthly radio program on democracy in cooperation with WERU FM.
This month, we’ll talk about hate and fear in politics and whether they undermine democracy: how panic and fear make space for abandoning the rule of law and the regular order; how when we demonize the opposition, it makes room for extraordinary measures to stop them. We’ll take listener calls during the second half of the show.
Special Guests: Joanne Freeman, Professor of History and American Studies at Yale University; and Steve Wessler, Maine human rights educator, trainer, and advocate specializing in conflict resolution.
WERU 89.9 FM Blue Hill, streaming at weru.org
You received this email because you are a supporter of Democracy Maine, League of Women Voters of Maine, or Maine Citizens for Clean Elections. Thank you!
Our mailing address is:Democracy MainePO Box 18187
Portland, ME 04112-8187
You can update your email address, change your subscription, or unsubscribe here.
You can unsubscribe from all groups immediately here.
- Thanksgiving message from Jim Loewen
- Fwd: TALK AT MORGAN BAY ZENDO OPEN TO PUBLIC: SUNDAY, NOV 24 @ 10 AM
- Fwd: Democracy Forum: Listen – Friday, November 15
- Protecting Maine’s fishing heritage
- Armistice Day Poem
- LWV Saturday meeting cancelled
- Fwd: LWV-Downeast Monthly Meetings
- Grannies Respond: Online Auction for asylum seekers
- Almost Sunrise at UUCE November 8
- Fwd: Taking Next Steps Toward Nuclear Abolition – Kathy Kelly
- The War at Home, Friday 10.25 film, Blue Hill
- Fwd: Restorative Justice Mentor Training in 4 sessions
- Fwd: Democracy Forum: Listen – Friday, October 18
- film THE WAR AT HOME, Friday Oct 25, Blue Hill
- Talk: Global Climate, the Pentagon, & War, Portland Oct 26