The following announcement was bounced by the HCCN list because it was posted by a non-member. I didn’t notice this until now. If anyone is reading email at this moment and is interested, tune-in!
——————– *LISTEN/CALL-IN to Radio Special on Efforts to Reform Destructive Waste Policy in Maine*
* Tomorrow [TODAY, NOW]: Wednesday, May 8th, 10-11 am* * Listen: 89.9 FM or **www.weru.org <www.weru.org>* * Call-In: 207-469-0500 *
The Maine Legislature’s Environment and Natural Resources Committee is currently considering reforms to state waste policy. We will speak with community activists and advocates about these reforms and the the on the ground realities. Please call in with your questions or comments.
LD 401, An Act To Preserve State Landfill Capacity and Promote Recycling,? would request the accurate tracking and record keeping of waste from its generation to final disposal point, including as landfill leachate discharged into Maine waterways, including Juniper Ridge Landfill leachate deposited into the Penobscot River. It would walk back a 2011 state statute that allows out of state waste to be re-classified as in-state waste. It would also walk back the ability for the state to meet recycling goals by counting construction and demolition debris used as landfill covering and waste biosolids used as agricultural fertilizer. It would strengthen protections for the health of those living in close proximity to waste disposal facilities, including the Penobscot Nation.
The State Department of Environemental Protection is offering up their own bill (LD 112), which will receive a public hearing, Friday, May 10th at 10am.
Guests: Hillary Lister, waste and environmental justice activist Ed Spencer, community resident impacted by Juniper Ridge Landfill, Old Town Dawn Neptune Adams, Penobscot Nation others TBA
_______________________________________________ HCCN mailing list HCCN@mainetalk.org mainetalk.org/mailman/listinfo/hccn_mainetalk.org
- Fwd: [Peacectr_list] Event: “Reckoning with Our Racial Past and Present in the Liberal Arts”
- film: THE GREAT HACK, Blue Hill Weds Aug 28
- Fwd: [mainevfp] Mourning the Victims of Gun Violence – Augusta – Saturday, August 10th, 7:00 p.m.
- Peninsula Peace & Justice film Friday July 26
- Fwd: Congresswoman Chellie Pingree on Palestine, the NDAA and the Pentagon Audit
- July 27 Concert for Ramallah Friends School, Belfast
- Peninsula Peace & Justice Notes
- Fwd: Crimea talk on Deer Isle, Thursday July 11
- Climate Convergence Conference, registration open
- Reggie Harris Concert June 20, Blue Hill
- ‘Fund Climate Solutions, Not Endless War’: 22 Arrested Demanding US Build Windmills, Not Warships
- Rockweed presentation, June 25, RFS
- Fwd: [mainevfp] A Call to Put Down Arms
- The Ongoing Palestinian Nakba, Friday June 21, blue Hill
- Fwd: BIW should help fight climate change