The following announcement was bounced by the HCCN list because it was posted by a non-member. I didn’t notice this until now. If anyone is reading email at this moment and is interested, tune-in!
——————– *LISTEN/CALL-IN to Radio Special on Efforts to Reform Destructive Waste Policy in Maine*
* Tomorrow [TODAY, NOW]: Wednesday, May 8th, 10-11 am* * Listen: 89.9 FM or **www.weru.org <www.weru.org>* * Call-In: 207-469-0500 *
The Maine Legislature’s Environment and Natural Resources Committee is currently considering reforms to state waste policy. We will speak with community activists and advocates about these reforms and the the on the ground realities. Please call in with your questions or comments.
LD 401, An Act To Preserve State Landfill Capacity and Promote Recycling,? would request the accurate tracking and record keeping of waste from its generation to final disposal point, including as landfill leachate discharged into Maine waterways, including Juniper Ridge Landfill leachate deposited into the Penobscot River. It would walk back a 2011 state statute that allows out of state waste to be re-classified as in-state waste. It would also walk back the ability for the state to meet recycling goals by counting construction and demolition debris used as landfill covering and waste biosolids used as agricultural fertilizer. It would strengthen protections for the health of those living in close proximity to waste disposal facilities, including the Penobscot Nation.
The State Department of Environemental Protection is offering up their own bill (LD 112), which will receive a public hearing, Friday, May 10th at 10am.
Guests: Hillary Lister, waste and environmental justice activist Ed Spencer, community resident impacted by Juniper Ridge Landfill, Old Town Dawn Neptune Adams, Penobscot Nation others TBA
_______________________________________________ HCCN mailing list HCCN@mainetalk.org mainetalk.org/mailman/listinfo/hccn_mainetalk.org
- Hancock County News Blog
- Hidden here at home, though maybe not anymore
- Community Response to Bigotry
- Town Hall on NECEC last night
- Great letter in the BDN about the CMP Corridor’s serious fire risk
- Fwd: LWV-Downeast Screening the Movie: Winner Take All
- Fwd: Hancock Sheriff asks for Riot Gear
- Rally in Ellsworth today
- Memorial Day remembrance
- Fwd: Public Comment on the coming CMP-corridor rejection referendum
- Fwd: The Laramie Project-LIVE-streamed performances!
- Fwd: [nodrones] ♥️🥰12today: Zoom: ‘DISARM & DIVEST DURING COVID-19
- Earth Day 2020
- Earth Day 2020
- Fwd: [Test] Democracy Forum: Listen – Friday, April 17